Wednesday 17 March 2010

New Script - Michael McGroarty

A quick note; dialogue in square brackets denotes an inward reflection as oppose to a right out sentence. It is still spoken, but as if to themselves. Circular brackets act as stage directions of a sort.

James: (head in hands) 4 days. 4 days..where the hell is he???
Johanne: James..don't start this again...we've been over this.
J: [He said he was just gonna see what happened...I know how much he missed the outside]
JH: I can't say I'm not worried [of course I am], but he's alive James...I can feel it in my-
J: I don't care about your stupid feelings! I just want to know where he is! We have no idea what's out there, he's charged out there with-
JH: I know James. [I did everything I could]. No one could've stopped him. (Sighs).
J: [I wish he never went]. If I saw him right now it wouldn't be soon enough.
JH: He's coming back James..I just know it. Don't worry..you know what he's like. Knowing his luck he's probably found survivors out there. [I don't know what I'do do if he never came back]
J: Mum, I'm not going to kid myself that he's found survivors and is having a bloody good time out there.
JH: James don't be ridiculous. You know I don't mean that. He's impulsive...as soon as he found people he..
J: Exactly. I know he's impulsive but he's not gonna let us stew here. How can he do that with Lucy here...he never would.
JH: [Yeah...it is unlike him]. But you can't just give up on him.
J: It breaks my heart every time I see Lucy look at the hatch, [it's not fair on her].
JH: (looks away) ...Every day he's gone...[I love him so much]... (head in hands)
J: Mum...[goddammit..]
JH: [I wish he was here...I wish I could feel his touch..] It's useless...wishing.
J: Don't be like that Mum..you need to stay strong..for Lucy..[and for me].
JH: You know I promised him I wouldn't go out there if he never came back. It's almost like he knew...
J: [I don't want to believe it]. He wouldn't just leave us here..I mean..he just wouldn't...
JH: Who knows what he was thinking..we were all getting irrational..
J: It's no excuse, you don't desert family, not now..[you just don't do that]..
JH: Look..try to stop thinking about it-
J: This isn't just some guy we're talking about here, it's my Dad, I can't just switch off my thoughts..we have absolutely no idea what the hell has happened out there, it's been silent for 4 days, not one sound, it's like the world has just vanished..
JH: James, you're not doing yourself any favours, just get some sleep and-
J: I can't sleep now! I haven't slept since he's left! Jesus Christ, what do you think I am?! How the hell can you expect me to rest while he's out there! He could be dead right now! Face down in the dirt, killed by some scumbag!
JH: You don't think I know that James?! Every time I think about him my heart drops. [You wouldn't understand].
J: Oh for God sake! (sweeps away the chess pieces)
JH: (waits a few seconds) James...we can't do anything about it..
J: I know. It doesn't mean I wish I could..I've never felt so hopeless..so useless..
JH: I know it's not easy for you, it hasn't been easy for any of us..but the more you think about it..the more it'll eat away at you, and you can't let that happen, Lucy needs you..I need you.
J: (sighs) I'm sorry Mum, it's just, you never expect your parents to leave you..I mean..I thought he'd be around me my whole life..I always saw myself standing next to him at my wedding, smiling and joking..but now that seems impossible and seeing him for the last time feels like a thousand years ago.
JH: (looking intently and sadly at James) I know James, I know.
J: What will Lucy say..she'll realise soon, she's smart, I can't lie to her..
JH: We can't betray her, but she's still a child James, she couldn't handle it if he didn't come back..she loved him terribly..they were inseparable..
J: [He's not coming back..](sighs)
JH: Come and sit down James..please.
J: (walks back to the table)

Voiceover starts here. The voiceover is the same form the last script.

Posted by Michael McGroarty

No comments:

Post a Comment